Thrill Ride
This writing thing is one helluva trip. One minute, the chewed fingernail bits are mounting on the keyboard, your characters despise you, and you're sure that you have no talent. And the next, the adrenaline is racing, your productivity skyrockets. You're a genius, and you know you can do no wrong.
I'm at page 165 and coming off of a three-day writing buzz. The kick was awesome, but it leaves a fear of how devastating the crash might be.
Like all highs, I'll go through withdrawals.
I wish every writing day would churn out pages of notes and 5 pages of manuscript. I really do. But in either the state of inspiration or perspiration (and the regurgitation, but that's another story), I realize that the estimated amount of work I accomplish is relatively equitable.
The difference is that in one, I feel like a genius and in the other, a hack.
I love rollercoasters. Just not this kind.



Comments