Raindrops, teardrops, I drops...
Oh what to do when our beloved writing slips into the proverbial cracks. Life comes along and gets in the way. The weather turns sour. (Thank you, Washington, for cutting the tail off the summer-that-never-was). Stressful dramas erupt at work. A zillion and one things that can easily kill the mood of writing. I drop the ball.
Or we can use writing as an escape, rather than these things as an excuse. And I say that to myself most of all.
So to save myself from myself, I've constructed a structure (a fortress, really) to eliminate dread procrastination.
1. When I don't "feel" like rewriting the current chapter of my novel, I will catch up on writing new scenes I missed in the first draft.
2. If I'm sick of writing a given new scene (or anything to do with my novel) I will instead develop an outline of any one of my next books.
3. Should THAT become boring, I will write a blog post.
4. And if by then I STILL can't put myself in the writing mood...
Uh.
Well, by then, hell's probably frozen over. At least, Washington will be.
Novel update! I have begun marking up my first chapters with a marvelously crimson Pilot pen. Five chapters edited thus far. Can't believe it's September already.
Or we can use writing as an escape, rather than these things as an excuse. And I say that to myself most of all.
So to save myself from myself, I've constructed a structure (a fortress, really) to eliminate dread procrastination.
1. When I don't "feel" like rewriting the current chapter of my novel, I will catch up on writing new scenes I missed in the first draft.
2. If I'm sick of writing a given new scene (or anything to do with my novel) I will instead develop an outline of any one of my next books.
3. Should THAT become boring, I will write a blog post.
4. And if by then I STILL can't put myself in the writing mood...
Uh.
Well, by then, hell's probably frozen over. At least, Washington will be.
Novel update! I have begun marking up my first chapters with a marvelously crimson Pilot pen. Five chapters edited thus far. Can't believe it's September already.



Comments