Child eyes
"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper." ~ Eden Phillpotts
My niece and nephew (twins, age 2 and a half) visited me this week. I was struck by their awareness. Not merely intelligence, but simply how in-tune they are with the world around them.
Mia is the empath of the two. When I remarked under my breath that my eyes itched (damned allergies), she immediately padded over and placed a little hand on my knee, lisping, "Ohhhh...I sorry."
Jack's brains go like clockwork and coils (like many boys), but his eye is keener and his fingers more adept than any toddler I've ever seen. His proficiency stretches beyond just building blocks. His tiny fingers discover the use for every button, knob, and instrument.
Mia and Jack recently began playing pretend. I like to take credit for introducing them to the idea, but I know it's more instinct than anything else. Imagination comes naturally to humankind. Too often, however, we stunt it. I have muffled it myself.
I realized this while helping Mia defend our "house" from invisible tigers. And watching Jack steer his jetplane with cunning and speed. When my twins come, we build fortresses, conduct trains, awe at symphonies, fight pirates, giants, and bears. When they come, I realize something that I, like all of us, will quickly forget.
Open your eyes. What beauties can you see? There is such thing as magic.
Novel update: 3 chapters remaining for editing...88 days left.

Comments