Curious-er and Curious-er

You don't have to be talented to attempt something great...

...just nuts.

If you really stop to consider it, the successful writers were the ones totally devoted to their craft. They didn't coast on talent...they pulverized their writing into submission. And this takes...well, to be perfectly frank...some level of insanity. Anyone who spends hours upon hours typing out letters on a screen, rearranging words and sentences to form imaginary things, has to be rather off-kilter to some degree. If you think about it, any creative person could also qualify as a lunatic.

We obsess, we talk to ourselves, we hear voices in our heads, we lock ourselves away from human contact for long periods of time. We are often delusional and egotistical. At other times we writhe in our own inadequacies. We act out scenes by non-existant characters in non-existant scenarios. We fall in love with our own heros. We weep over our own creations.

Perhaps in an alternate dimension, artists are locked up as crazies. What a bizarre idea. Nevertheless, that's the kind of thing I think about.

Writers are certifiable. That's the truth of the matter. Oh dear...what kind of a career have I got myself into? Oh well. As I have always said...normalcy is overrated.


Novel Update: I have 13 days to finish my novel. Thus, the lack of blogging on my part. Every bit of writing/editing energy left in me has been as focused to this book as a laser through a crystal.

Comments