Someday...

I set out to write and revise a 200 page novel in a year. It took me 363 days to realize that "Someday" never comes. 

With two days left, I have a 325 page novel in the throes of its third draft. 25 of those pages were written over the two days (during which I was dreadfully ill with a 102* fever) before Christmas. As result of my mania, I have at least three scenes left that I need to tie up just enough for them to make sense. Finally, I have recently discovered, thanks to my first-ever reader, that my chapters are too long to digest.

Freakin' awesome.

Fresh eyes are always extraordinarily insightful, but now, with only two days left, it leaves my typing fingers almost numb with the feverish (pun intended) last-minute revisions.

Two days. That's all. The last shred of time I have left to make this readable. I drove myself to the edge, and now we're going to see if these wings will hold. This is where we have to ask ourselves...how badly do you want to win? What will you give up?

I've given up sleep for this book. I've given up free time. I've given up my childishness and sensitivity to criticism. I've given up procrastination and perfectionism. I've given up pride. I've given up my favorite TV shows and books. I've even given up the fruits of my craft itself to my personal Creator. It seems like little stuff, but it was big for me. We all have those things we're scared to give up. But I did. And I will. But none of it makes a damn sight of difference if it doesn't inspire others.

I never want to watch from the sidelines again. My friends, you don't have to either. You can jump into the race. Don't be afraid of losing. After all, if you don't run, you won't win anyway, right? What do you want to do so badly that it hurts to think of not doing it? There's a dream inside all of us. A divine spark. What will you give up to satisfy it?

There is no someday. There is only now.

Someday is today.

The flag is fluttering. I heard the gunshot ring. My feet are thundering. Will you run with me?

Comments

Kaeli said…
Chills! I got chills! I'm inspired!
raquel rose said…
Aghhhhh my heart is on fire!!
:)
Alex Newman said…
Friends, you lift up my soul more than you know. I'm humbled.