2011: That. Just Happened.
Dear 2011 - Dang, you went by fast, though not without your lessons and expectations for the future. You cast a long shadow that will be difficult to match, that much is certain. You were probably the best year I've had since the under-14, Pre-Boys Era - i.e. braces, glasses, C.S. Lewis for hours on end, and LOTR elf ears. Ah, those were the days.
Though, now that I think about it, all that still applies. Except the braces. And I'm still boy-less. But that's another post.
In any case, I have a good feeling about the nice round number of 2012.
In 2011, a TON of RAD SHTUFF happened. A lot of (pardon my German) scheiße (SHYZ-uh) happened, too, but I learned a valuable lesson.
I have spare time.
But the phrase, "Spare time" much like its life partner, "I'm bored" is one that I feel weird using. Because, really, who has time to spare? Forget money, time is the most valuable commodity you have on this planet. If you're doing anything worthwhile on God's-green-Earth, you wouldn't be bored or have spare time, then complain that the year goes by too fast.
Because honestly, I really don't have spare time. If I want something done, I have to carve time out of jagged rocks with a dinky little pickax like a greedy Dwarf miner.
I traveled to 100 high schools to share opportunities with the students. I wrote a 50,000 word novel in one month.
This isn't to pat myself on the back, because, God-knows, if I'm looking at the major things I accomplished in 2011, the biggest thing it shows me is how little that actually is of my year. It tells me that I wasted a lot of time, too.
My goal in 2012 is to waste even less. Maybe someday I'll get to the point where I take everyday as seriously as I should. Maybe you will, too.
Don't spare you're time. Don't waste it being "bored." Do what you love, love what you do, and make this year one marked by extreme challenges that took you to extreme heights.



Comments