Best Day...
Let me begin by prefacing. I'm the first of the offenders to say, "Ohmygosh, that's like the best. Thing. Ever!" or "Holy mother, that's the best thing I've heard all day!" So I don't get why certain things along the same lines bug me so badly. I say the above more like a colloquial exclamation. People know I don't *obviously* believe that the joke they just made was the honest-to-God best-thing-ever. It may have been the best thing I'd heard all day, but definitely not the best thing ever. What does hit my nerves though? I mean, intensely hits my nerves.
It runs along the same lines, so I don't get why it kills me so much when I hear people say it. It's really ass-backwards, but I really take issue (internally) when someone says IN A SINCERE TONE "Today I had the best day of my life." Or "This was the best moment I've ever had." I wish I could understand why it scrapes my last neuron to oblivion. It's like those people who post it for the world to see. Or even say it to your face. "Yeah, that was the best summer of my life." Uh, I was there, hon, and it was far from the best summer of MY life. Don't know what kind of rose-colored-frickin-glasses you're retrospecting through.
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I honestly never think of any day or week or moment as being the "best-of-my-life." I feel like that cheapens the overall experience of living - flaws and failures and triumphs and creations all. I mean, it's like putting all your emotion into that one memory. Polishing it up (only remembering the good parts), balancing it carefully on a pedastel, and looking back on it for the rest of your life with a delusional kind of righteous satisfaction.
I KNOW I have never had a perfect day, a perfect week, a perfect moment. Every single thing I've experienced has been a confliction. But if someone wants to indulge a fantasy, be my guest.
Just don't expect me to believe you. You can say whatever you want, but in the back of my mind, I'll be thinking, "Why can't you just be honest? Don't you realize this isn't going to last? That each moment should be better than the one before it? Just for the mere fact that it's all you have?"
So I've never had a best day. Because every day should be that day.
It runs along the same lines, so I don't get why it kills me so much when I hear people say it. It's really ass-backwards, but I really take issue (internally) when someone says IN A SINCERE TONE "Today I had the best day of my life." Or "This was the best moment I've ever had." I wish I could understand why it scrapes my last neuron to oblivion. It's like those people who post it for the world to see. Or even say it to your face. "Yeah, that was the best summer of my life." Uh, I was there, hon, and it was far from the best summer of MY life. Don't know what kind of rose-colored-frickin-glasses you're retrospecting through.
Maybe I'm just cynical, but I honestly never think of any day or week or moment as being the "best-of-my-life." I feel like that cheapens the overall experience of living - flaws and failures and triumphs and creations all. I mean, it's like putting all your emotion into that one memory. Polishing it up (only remembering the good parts), balancing it carefully on a pedastel, and looking back on it for the rest of your life with a delusional kind of righteous satisfaction.
I KNOW I have never had a perfect day, a perfect week, a perfect moment. Every single thing I've experienced has been a confliction. But if someone wants to indulge a fantasy, be my guest.
Just don't expect me to believe you. You can say whatever you want, but in the back of my mind, I'll be thinking, "Why can't you just be honest? Don't you realize this isn't going to last? That each moment should be better than the one before it? Just for the mere fact that it's all you have?"
So I've never had a best day. Because every day should be that day.


Comments