A Moment for a Worn, but Beautiful Metaphor

"If you desire faith, then you have faith enough." ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

We often think of faith in the weakest, mealiest, milquetoasted terms of belief. "Faith is believing without seeing." "Keep the faith." "Just have a little faith." Ha. Ha. Haa.

I'm convinced more and more that faith is more than that. The word itself isn't a noun - it's a verb. It is trust. Trusting is not something passive. It is an action. It requires ignition - which takes the greatest courage. But it is worth it. Life is not life without trusting in something. And I trust myself least of all.

It is they who trust that shall renew their strength.

I already have my eagle's wings. Just realized that they've actually been there all along. I'm standing on a precipice now, a jutting stone covered in moss, angled out from a sheer drop. The gusts, blowing from unseen and angry lips, deafen me. These wings stretch out from either side, yet they seem so small compared to the cathedral of cloud and light and sky above me.

Some days I stand and stare, shivering in the cold, wrapped only in my worry and distrust. Clothing my beautiful wings in only "what-might-have-beens," "what-ifs," and "that's-just-the-way-I-am's." 

Yes, I fear the wind. But I fear the ordinary life much more.

So I leap.

Every.

Single.

Day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post, Alex.

You are a writer indeed.

John K.
Alex Newman said…
As are you, my friend. :)

Thank you - I think being called a writer is one of the kindest compliments I've ever received.