A High Coup

I play head games
Global Thermal Nuclear War
Risk, chess, and poker

I play with others
Against the world’s other side
The screen’s other side

It has not a voice
But green letters affront me
Should I sense danger

Two buttons in reach
One green and the other red
Under glass boxes

My fingertip rubs
Tempted by blood red plastic
And the conscience pricks

I am government
You gave me these two buttons
For better or worse

It could end today
Not with ash, smoldering snow
Or rain like acid

It could end with but
A slight press of my finger
A soundless light, then

Click, screen goes black
Silence, darkness, all is lost
Then a purring hum

A small, blinking light
Beginning the game over
Resetting the pieces

What takes more courage?
Ending the world is easy
A new game is not

How about a nice game of chess?

Comments

Laurie said…
Dear God, please help the government.